The open source Scala language is a Java–based dynamic scripting, functional programming language. Moreover, this highly scalable scripting language lends itself well to building Cloud–based/deliverable Software as a Service (SaaS) online applications.
Written by Lift Scala web framework founder and lead Dave Pollak, Beginning Scala takes a down–to–earth approach to teaching Scala that leads you through simple examples that can be combined to build complex, scalable systems and applications.
This book introduces you to the Scala programming language and then guides you through Scala constructs and libraries that allow small and large teams to assemble small components into high–performance, scalable systems. You will learn why Scala is becoming the language of choice for Web 2.0 companies such as Twitter as well as enterprises such as Seimens and SAP.
What you’ll learn:
* Get running with the Scala programming language for functional Java, Java–based, and Cloud–based/deliverable applications development, and more.
* Understand the basic syntax and mechanisms for writing Scala programs.
* Discover the techniques for and advantages of using immutable data structures.
* Create functional programming techniques for defining and managing concurrency.
* Use a complex type system and traits to define object–oriented programs.
* Work with Scala constructs and libraries that allow teams of any size to assemble small components into high–performance, scalable systems.
* Build complex systems based on the simple examples learned along the way through this book.
Who is this book for?
Java developers looking to reduce boilerplate, improve team performance, improve interteam dynamics, and build more scalable and robust systems. Also, this book will appeal to Java developers looking to do Cloud–based development. Lastly, Ruby, Python, and Groovy programmers looking for a higher–performance and a more robust language will benefit.
About the Apress Beginning Series
The Beginning series from Apress is the right choice to get the information you need to land that crucial entry–level job. These books will teach you a standard and important technology from the ground up because they are explicitly designed to take you from “novice to professional.”
You’ll start your journey by seeing what you need to know—but without needless theory and filler. You’ll build your skill set by learning how to put together real–world projects step by step. So whether your goal is your next career challenge or a new learning opportunity, the Beginning series from Apress will take you there—it is your trusted guide through unfamiliar territory!
356 Downloads —